Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Starting 2013 with a (Back) Splash!

We were very blessed with several gift cards to Home Depot for wedding gifts and decided to use them to purchase the materials for a back splash in our kitchen. This was a project I had been wanting to tackle for quite some time since we bought the house last year. It was one of those things that we didn't even notice was missing when we looked at the house. I think our eyes gleamed at the stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops (which we LOVE, don't get me wrong) and we didn't even think to consider a back splash. That is, until we started cooking and doing dishes and noticed that the walls were getting dirty and wet.
 
On the laundry list of projects we'd like to do (finish the bar Bryan is building, add stairs and a path in the front yard, hang the porch swing, etc.) this wasn't huge on Bryan's priority list. But luckily with the gift cards and the name of an affordable handy man from my uncle, it was a project that could be accomplished in a short amount of time and handled affordably by a professional. We found the tile we liked and were told my Home Depot associate #1 that it was called Noche. They didn't have enough, so we headed to another location to pick up more and the color seemed off in that box. So, at Home Depot number 3, associate #2 told me that the tile in the model we liked was not Noche at all- it was Chiaro.
 
After a deep sigh and several swap outs/ returns/ blah blah blah, we finally got the right tiles and we were ready to roll. With the help of our new friends Butch and Johnny, our back splash was ready after a couple days of work! I think B was surprised at the difference it made. He agreed that it makes the kitchen look more finished and polished, and it really completes the room nicely.
 
Here are the before and afters:
 
Corner Before
 

Corner After

Sink and Window Before

Sink and Window After
Kitchen Before
Kitchen After
Ta Daaaaa!
We love the tile we selected and are so pleased with the finished product. Projects like this for our home are so satisfying because I love that Bryan and I get to come together to make our little space in this world our own. I think they also help with the whole cleaving process as I have to resist to my gut instinct to just call my mom and ask her exactly what we should do and consciously step toward Bryan and value his opinion before all others. It's so funny how much of choice that is! Maybe I am abnormal because I am super close with my parents, but I do have to remind myself sometimes that we are running our show now. It is a lot of fun getting to make these decisions together and become more of a unit. Go Hills!
 
That said, I still called my mom 3 times last week when fixing my first ever breakfast casserole for Christmas, so I understand full well that I will never stop needing her counsel!

1 comment:

  1. excellent choice - looks great! you will enjoy it every day:)

    just found your blog - looking forward to reading about your new adventures with bryan - sweet!

    love you
    auntie karen

    ReplyDelete